Position Title: CVC Investment Manager
Reports to: Director of Corporate Venture Capital
Date: Nov 30, 2021
GC International (GCI) located in the Greater Boston area is a wholly owned subsidiary of PTT Global Chemical Company (GC) a $20 billion petrochemical and material conglomerate headquartered in Thailand. GCI serves as a technology scouting and a corporate venture capital (CVC) arm with a mission to invest in new blockbuster technologies through GC Ventures America entity. Our team is also working closely with the GC Venture team located at GC headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand. Our current investment thesis areas include advanced materials, industrial digital platform, biotech/ life science, clean and green technologies, etc.
Reporting to the Director of Corporate Venture Capital, the Investment Manager will be responsible for deal flow sourcing, market research, competitive landscape analysis, value chain analysis and deal screening against several criteria. In addition, the Investment Manager will participate in the due diligence process, putting together and making investment proposals and final due diligence reports to be presented to the Investment Committee, as well as portfolio monitoring and management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the identification and evaluation of new technologies and solutions in advanced material, industrial digitals, clean & green tech, etc. that are in line with GC’s strategies
- Actively scout for new opportunities by networking with startups, venture capital communities, and attending various events
- Conduct market research to analyze market opportunities and competitive landscape for new opportunities
- Screen new opportunities to determine technical merits, soundness of the business plan, and synergy to GC strategies
- Present and defend selected deals to the boarder CVC teams from both Boston and Bangkok locations to push deals through the internal stage gate process
- Lead due diligence activities to assess market, technology, IP strength, and business model of the company with limited guidance
- Perform financial analysis and verify P&L model to assess soundness of company’s financial projection and valuation with sensitivity analysis around various scenarios.
- Develop due diligence reports with detailed assessment of the deals against various key criteria for reviews by GC Investment Committee
DEAL EXECUTION AND PORTFOLIO MONITORING
- Develop Technology Insight documents to summarize technology landscapes, addressable markets and key players, etc. on various new technologies to share learnings with various stakeholders across several Business Units within GC
- Lead the review process for the term sheet, the stock purchase agreement, and relevant financing documents. Provide recommendation on key terms for negotiation. Participate in term negotiation process.
- Monitor portfolio performance against milestones, periodically assess the companies’ financial needs and provide inputs to periodic reporting on indirect and direct investment portfolio
- Work with portfolio companies to drive value to both GC and the startup by assisting with internal alignment/expansion, fundraising, recruiting, marketing/sales, etc.
- Work with the GC Ventures team and collaborating internally with appropriate technical specialists, functions, and business units to align prospective investments with the needs of the business
- Develop strategy for post-investment collaboration activities and develop investment proposal for participation in follow-on capital raises
- Strong technical background and broad knowledge in the area of new material, polymers, clean tech, life science or industrial digital platforms
- Experience leading due diligence, including performing market analysis, technology landscape, IP landscape, value chain analysis and SWOT analysis comparing different players
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and present to global internal and external audiences from various levels and backgrounds
- Strong commercial acumen to be able to assess the business potential against several risk factors
- Ability to provide justification to the recommended deals and defend them in front of peers, senior management and the Investment Committee
- Entrepreneurial mindset with experience working in a fast-paced environment managing multiple concurrent assignments and priorities.
- Venture Capital mindset with competence in financial modeling, valuation techniques, and sensitivity analysis
- Proficient in driving results, with a sense of accountability and ability to change pace and focus rapidly when required
- Detail-oriented approach to problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to establish key contacts to network effectively with external organizations, industries and/or universities
- Strong negotiation skills, with the ability to effectively engage directly with target company senior management
- Ability to work collaboratively across functions within the business unit and across the organization
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English with superior presentation skills
- Ability to travel locally or out of state 25-30%
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- B.S. Material Science, Polymer Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or related field
- Advanced degree or M.B.A preferred
- Experience with performing market research, competitive benchmarking, and technology scouting
- Previous role working for a reputable venture capital or a corporate venture capital firm
- Experience working in relevant industrial sectors with strong understanding of manufacturing cost model
- Previous entrepreneurial, business management, strategy, consulting, investment banking and/or business development experience, including strong knowledge of finance and various valuation techniques