Position Title: Technology Scouting/ Corporate Venture Capital Analyst
Location: Boston, MA
GC International (GCI) located in the Greater Boston area is a wholly owned subsidiary of PTT Global Chemical Company (GC) a $20 billion petrochemical and material conglomerate headquartered in Thailand. GCI serves as a technology scouting and a corporate venture capital (CVC) arm with a mission to invest in new blockbuster technologies through GC Ventures America entity. Our team is working closely with GC Venture team located at GC headquarter in Bangkok, Thailand, Together, our investment thesis areas include cleantech, advanced material, biotech/ life science, and industrial digital platform.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Corporate Venture Capital, the Corporate Venture Capital Analyst will be responsible for dealflow sourcing, market research, competitive landscape analysis, value chain analysis and deal screening against several criteria. In addition, the CVC Analyst will participate in the due diligence process and assist the team in putting together investment proposals and final due diligence reports to be presented to the Investment Committee. In addition, the individual will support the post-deal collaboration projects between the portfolio companies and the business units.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively scout for new opportunities by networking with startups, venture capital communities, and attending various events to identify new technologies in advanced material, cleantech, industrial biotech, etc. that are in line with GC’s strategies
- Conduct market research to analyze market sizing, value chain, and competitive landscape for new opportunities
- Screen new opportunities to determine technical merits, soundness of the business plan, and synergy to the CVC strategies
- Maintain up-to-date dealflow pipeline database and perform regular check-in with key contacts in the active dealflows.
- Participate in the due diligence to assess novel technologies/solutions and support financial due diligence activities
- Support the development of an investment proposal and due diligence reports for reviews by GC Investment Committee
- Support portfolio monitoring and reporting, as well as post-investment collaboration projects between startups and GC’s business units
- Strong technical background and broad knowledge in the area of new material, polymers, cleantech or industrial biotech platforms
- Proven experience in performing market analysis and technical competitive analysis on emerging technologies
- Ability to establish strong a network with internal organizations, startups and venture ecosystems.
- Strong initiative and demonstrate ability to drive market relevant technical projects or studies to completion
- Ability to summarize and distill complex technical concepts and effectively communicate to global audience from various backgrounds
- Ability to provide justification to the recommended deals and defend them in front of peers, senior management, or Investment Committee
- Proficient in driving results, with a sense of accountability and ability to change pace and focus rapidly when required
- Ability to handle multiple projects with different scopes and deadlines
- Detail-oriented approach to problem solving
- Ability to work collaboratively across functions within the business unit and across the organization
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to travel locally or out of state 25-30%
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- B.S. Material Science, Polymer Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or related field
- Advanced degree or M.B.A preferred
- Experience with performing market research, competitive benchmarking, and technology scouting
- Experience working with a venture capital firm or a consulting firm is a plus
- 1-3 year’s experience in Market Research, Business Development, or R&D in material, chemical or biotech industries